Wednesday, September 28, 2005
Just a small town girl
:Grew up in a small town And when the rain would fall down I just stared out my window Dreaming of a could-be And if I'd end up happy:
Last Friday night a classmate and I got into a discussion. He is from Michigan as well and is familiar with where I grew up. He made a comment about my shoes and how they "didn't look like Northern Michigan shoes" (and there aren't--very cute heels!). I replied that there is a lot about me that isn't "Nothern Michigan." Kidding ensued but soon the conversation took a serious turn. He (somewhat jokingly) accused me of "trying to deny where I was from." I was, of course, offended! I have Michigan pride! He teased me about being more of a private school girl. He gave me a quiz regarding some of the snobby defnitions of our discipline. I passed and he commented that I am a rarity for my geographic location. I agreed and we moved on.
The conversation stayed with me, however. Throughout the conversation it seemed I had to do two things simultaneously (a) prove that I had Northern Michigan pride and (b) that I was somehow above it as well. It is a struggle thatI have had througout my country-living life. While I appreciated where I grew up, I was constantly trying to set myself apart. I defined myself by what I wasn't. I wasn't the type of girl that was going to get married right out of high school, have a lot of kids, and not go to college. I valued education. I questioned religion. I voted democrat. By McBain's standards I was a regular ole' freak. I rarely go back home. I have very few friends from high school. So, was my classmate right? Do I try to forget where I am from? I think this used to be the case. But now--I think back on my childhood with really positive feelings. I learned a lot in McBain. I did learn a lot about what I didn't want for life--but I also learned a lot about hard work, dedication, loyalty. This is a town that farms for a living, where people are members of a church their whole lives and most marry their high school sweethearts. Sure--they didn't teach me about ontology or rhetorical criticism but they did make me into this person. Despite my weirdness, not a week goes by that people at church don't ask my mom about how I'm doing down in the south. Or make a comment about how great it is that a McBain girl is getting her schooling (they don't really know the PhD thing) at such a well-known school (sure they only know it b/c of football).
Of course, not a day goes by that I don't thank god for my parents. They instilled a sense of independence, strength and openmindedness in me. I could have grown up in the big city and not had parents like mine--I would have been just as freakish...only in a really bad way. Yeah, I may have never been or ever will be a "small town" girl but I'm glad I grew up in one.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. It makes it difficult to fit into either the rural or urban setting, at least for me. I"m to 'academic' for back home, but too hick for the 'intellectuals'. Oh well, at least I can read Foucalt and change my oil.

-The RC

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RC~ I would not use both "I read foucalt" and "I change my oil" at the same time b/c if a girl is going to appreciate the latter she won't know what focault is or that it is a person and the so called "intellects" who would understand the former would think you are crazy for changing your own oil!
---Ramblr

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I might never be a small town gril but I am glad I grew up in one" is this code for I have the best sisters in the world...I mean is it just me but that is how I took it :) I also hate to break it to you, you might be glad you grew up in a small town but I would not go as far to say you were glad you grew up in McBain...maybe you are thankful for your friends you still have here and SOME experiences you had but to go as far as to say you are GLAD you grew up here....if that is the case then please...come back and visit more and remind yourself why you left! But please come lots this year for me to remind you why you left...I can be sure to take your socks ;)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang - no wonder my 'Truth/power in relation horsepower' pick-up lines never work...
-The RC

Anonymous Anonymous said...

correction - 'in relation to'

so much for me batting 1.000 with blog comment syntax.
-The RC

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer