Sunday, October 02, 2005
Journey Theory
::A singer in a smokey room A smell of wine and cheap perfume For a smile they can share the night It goes on and on and on and onnnn Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard Their shadows searching in the night Streetlight people, living just to find emotion Hiding, somewhere in the night::

Last year, Bill and I were hanging out at the UI and the DJ played Journey's Don't Stop Believing. The room erupted in laughter, singing, high fiving. We decided that everyone loves Journey. Even if you don't admit it, you sing along when it comes on the radio. Come on, admit it. Okay--don't but you know it's true. So, I developed this general belief into a theory that I tested whenever possible. Last week, a group of us were hanging out in General Beauregards and a Journey song came on. Pretty soon--everyone was singing and discussing Journey. People teased us about having Don't Stop Believing at our reception. I made the bold declarative that "everyone would be dancing because (say it with me) everyone loves Journey." Sure, sure that song is hard to dance to but the theory stands. We all know the words, it has a catchy beat, we let down our guard... Well, TONIGHT my theory was proven true again--Family Guy had a small karaoke bit and Peter took the stage singing....*suspense building*.... DON'T STOP BELIEVING! The show exploded. Singing, dancing, people beating each other. I was so excited. I sent a text message to Bill telling him of the news. He messaged me back asking, "I assume you were singing along?" Of course, Bill, of course!

::Don't stop believin' Hold on to the feelin' Streetlight people::


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a small town girl, livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train goin' anywhere
Just a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit
He took the midnight train goin' anywhere

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We started with the theory when I realized that despite not even consciously knowing who Journey is, I knew all the words. It's like that scene in Beetlejuice where everyone at the dinner party loses control and starts dancing and singing - Steve Perry's voice is that powerful. Speaking of Steve Perry, I'd like to share a little gem of a website.
http://www.perry-tales.com/
Yeah, it's Steve Perry fan fiction. Quite possibly the strangest thing I've seen on the internet.
-Bill aka The RC
P.S. I guess there's no need for secret identities here, we're among friends.

Blogger kristen said...

Um, that is weird...

You would have that, Bill.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer