Tuesday, October 25, 2005
Onions always make me cry
::A sense of humor is part of the art of leadership, of getting along with people, of getting things done--Dwight D. Eisenhower::
All right, I am going to get a little worked up since it amuses my readers so much. Peter sent me a story about everyone's favorite administration. It seems they are getting a little bent out of shape about the onion's recent (very real) parody. The newspaper presents a weekly radio address "from" the President on the webpage. Interestingly enough, I was just introduced to these addresses this weekend. HYSTERICAL. Kept many a drunk people entertained at our place for quite awhile. Maybe Dubya should take up drinking again...it seems the humor is lost on him. The New York Times reports that the White House is pretty irritated that the publican is using the Presidential seal. Their argument is that the seal is not to be used for commercial purposes.
Wait, I'm confused. I guess all the White House officials had to PAY when they VISITED THE WEBSITE?!? What commercial purposes? Moreover, I would think that the White House is a *tad* busy these days. If nothing else, they have a little bit of an economic problem on their hands. It's hard to to justify balancing the budget when you are using tax payer money (granted middle class tax payer money so it's not as hard earned) to pay for legal battles against a comedic paper. I can only hope this goes all the way to the high court. I'll be interested to see what Harriet Miers has to say about this. I'm sure she'll have a lot of legal precedent to draw on. Oh wait...
I'm just going to throw something out here into the ether...could it be that Bush is starting to see his credibility slip just a bit? He's looking for a little scapegoating? Sure, sure...the reason why the President of the United States has no credibility is because the Onion is using his seal. It reminds me of the professors that get bent out of shape when people don't call them Dr. So and So. It's like their credibility stems from their title. News flash--your credibility stems from the JOB you are doing not superficial things like a title or a seal. Maybe the Bush administration should be concerned with balancing the budget, protecting the poor, and giving people health care. Maybe he could even make sure that people in his administration are honest and trustworthy. I doubt they get that though....Hell, the probably don't even get the Onion in general. By all accounts, they are out of touch.
Oh, and look out John Stewart...it's only a matter of time until they come after you!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

rant much?

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer