Monday, November 14, 2005
Shopgirl
::So, I can hurt now, or hurt later. Now, I guess::
Last week's date night consisted of this movie. I have been looking forward to this movie for a LONG time. See this post. After viewing the film, I have had to reflect for a while to see if it surpassed my expectations. Drew thought it was "better than he expected." I'm not sure. I know it wasn't a disappointment which is (a) a good thing and (b) unusual. Buuut, I don't know if it was better than I had hoped. However, it has a lot of good things going for it.

1. I hate to say this as I just compared Broken Flowers to Lost in Translation--but Shopgirl was similar to Lost in Translation. I LOVE Lost in Translation. I love it so much that I don't want to trivialize it but comparing every movie to it. The best thing about LinT was the understated lead performances. Murray and Johansson were fantastic. They were subtle yet powerful. That describes Daines and Martin in this film. Their characters were moving and complicated but didn't scream PAY ATTENTION TO ME. They were real and natural. All good things.

2. And while I can recognize this, I also have to say that Daines is not my favorite. I think she was perfect for this role yet she still bugged me. I know it doesn't make sense but it's my blog so BACK OFF.

3. Jason Swartzman, however, was adorable. He was perfectly cast. I read the Jimmy Fallon was originally cast...I am glad that Swartzman ended up as the lovable Jeremy. He made the movie for Drew. He simply enhanced the already enjoyable film for me.

4. What made the movie for me was Martin's monologue at the end of the film. It was perfect. One line really got to me...."How could I miss someone who I kept at bay the whole time we were together so that I would not miss her when we were apart..." LOVED IT. LOVED HIM. His character moved me the most. I walked away from the film feeling his pain and isolation. That was suprising to me as throughout the movie I did not feel "moved." It was a subtle happening.

5. The real bummer about the film was that they used no Death Cab even though they used "This is the Sound of Settling" for the trailer. I loved the trailer. I love that song. I wish it had been in the movie. The lyrics are perfect.

Ok, so upon further reflection I have decided that the movie comes out even. Some parts were better than expected and others disappointed. SOOOO, I give it an 8. I think you should go see it. So, go!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer