Saturday, November 05, 2005
Who needs Abercrombie when you have BRAINS?

Just in case people need another reason not to buy Abercrombie and Fitch stuff....

They have introduced a new line of "Attitude Tees" and by attitude they mean ridiculous. Here are a few of my favorites:

"Who needs brains when you have these" (no longer on site)
"I hope you can make more than I spend"
"Do I make you look fat?"
"Careful I had a bowl of bitchy for breakfast"
"If at first you don't succeed, try buying me some diamonds"
"Freshman 15" (with a list of 15 men's names)
" I had a nightmare I was a brunette"

Now I have some A&F shirts--not very many and they are now in a bag in my trunk ready to go to Goodwill. I am joining a large group of women that are calling for a "girlcott" of the retailer. The portrayal of women as materialistic, loose and/or superficial is infuriating. However, the fact that they target young girls with these shirts is sickening. Maybe I wouldn't be as upset if there were teeshirts for men that made fun of their lack of brains or painted them as greedy, stupid, promiscuous....but, alas, there are none.

A&F is claiming that the shirts are "edgy" and "funny." There is nothing edgy or funny about patriarchy. I am going to wear my own shirt:
"I traded mine for brains"


5 Comments:

Blogger bethany said...

Lets MAKE shirts like that. I would wear it.

Blogger kristen said...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05308/600954.stm

it seems too good to be true...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I"m probably not a healthy sample of males at large, but a shirt openly claiming that you think that being dumb or out for money is a cute joke automatically disqualifies the wearer.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with bill, he is not a healthy sample.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you go girl

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer