Monday, January 02, 2006
Holiday Randomness
Hello All!

So sorry it has been so long. I finished up the semester and headed immediately to MI. I cannot even tell you have relieved I was to finish up my first semester of PhD work. It was such a good feeling to hit send on my last e-mail of Fall 05. I have enjoyed the past three weeks. I have spent lots of time reading, movie watching and hanging out with friends and family. Here is a list of a few highlights and random thoughts.

1. It is always weird to go back to Northern MI. I hardly ever go home. Even when I am in MI, I am rarely in McBain. So, when I go home people are obviously shocked to see me. This trip was no exception. I had a great time hanging out at a local hot spot. Sang some Journey, drank a fair amount and listened to all the locals talk about how great it was that I am getting married. I think they were relieved to find out I wasn't a lesbian. Of course, no mention of my PhD work. A lot of them didn't even go to college. They would have no idea what to do with the PhD info. I complain about how small Athens is and how I am constantly running into people I know but it is nothing like McBain. We couldn't go anywhere without running into people from high school, church, etc. It is nice though. Makes me proud of where I am in my life.

2. Saw two FANTASTIC movies--Capote and Brokeback Mountain. I highly recommend BOTH. I really can't decide which I liked better. I loved Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote and am now OBSESSED with Truman Capote. I picked up In Cold Blood and reading all sorts of stuff about him and his life. I was enthralled with the storyline and his character. Hoffman (who is a genius) did a great job portraying the manipulative yet vulnerable man that Capote was. I was strangely drawn to yet repulsed by him. Brokeback was a fantastic story of love, loss and sexuality. I enjoyed the portrayal of gay men as strong, masculine and "human." Both movies give way to lots of discussion and thoughts.

3. Read a few good books as well. I would recommend: Million Little Pieces, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, and The Truth (with jokes). Hoping to get through a few more this week as well. In fact, today it is rainey and gross out. I will soon be curled up on my couch with a book.

4. New Year's Eve. Great time. Had dinner at the Speak Easy and then went out dancing at the 40 Watt. Fun evening. Spent it with great people. Lots of positive energy and laughs. I don't really believe in resolutions per say. But I do believe in setting goals for myself. Some fun, some serious. I am continuing one from last year--I want to learn a poker chip trick. I have yet to master one but will keep working. I also want to eat better and work out more (wedding shape up!). I need to utilize my time better. Less vegging! Lastly, I have set up a reading list for myself. I will spare you the boring details. But since starting grad school I have been feeling unread. I need to get on top of some important books. Most will have to wait until summer but I will read them just the same.

5. If grad school doesn't work out for me, I've been considering some other professions. Mainly, I would like to work on a board game. Someone has to decide which words go on a Taboo card, which categories to use for Scatergories, the trivia questions for assorted games. Why can't it be me?!

2005 was a VERY eventful year. I got into school, bought a condo, got engaged, moved (again!) and started a new chapter of my life. I cannot wait to see what 2006 holds. New Year's Day is always a weird time for me. I don't deal well with change--so I am trying to process the past year and get excited for the year to come. I feel nostalgic yet hopeful. I do know that I wouldn't change the status of my life. I am exactly where I want to be, doing what I want to be doing, surrounded by people I want to be with (except I miss my family!). Woo hooo! Here's to a great year!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

um by missing "family" you mean mostly me right? That is what I thought thanks for your agreement :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer