Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Homecoming "King"
I'm not sure how I feel about THIS

A small liberal arts college in Maryland recently crowned a lesbian homecoming king. I don't really agree with the notion of homecoming king/queen in general...but this situation has raised a few specific thoughts

1. While it is good for any person in a minority position to receive press, I can't help but think that this "press" is more damaging for lesbians than helpful

2. Why can't a lesbian be queen? Why is the association with king? It isn't clear from the article if the woman identifies as a transperson. Perhaps she views herself as a man (hence her desire to be king). However, she refers to herself multiple times as a "she" as do her friends and supporters. Thus, if she thinks of herself as a woman, why was she now crowned queen?

3. This award seems to imply that lesbians are not "real" women. They are in fact women who desire to be men--to have what men have. I think we can all agree that the lesbian identity is not an identity that simply seeks maleness.

While I value the support her classmates gave in voting for someone who is openly gay, I cringe at the notion that she had to be the "king" of the ball.....


2 Comments:

Blogger QuakerDave said...

There is a rank homophobic spin being put on this story, in almost every venue I've seen. Don't care for it at all.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that webpage can't be opened at school cuz the word "lesbian" is in the address.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer