Monday, March 06, 2006
Oscars!

I love, love, love the Oscars. Love the name, love the glamour, love the movies. Here are a few of my favorite moments....

1. Best Award: Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote. I was worried he would get overshadowed by all the "edgy" and "political" films. His performance was fantastic. I actually yelped and did a fist pump when it was announced. The academy got it RIGHT

2. Best Acceptance Speech: Reese Witherspoon....she was borderline cheesy but she is just so damn cute. Didn't like her dress but I loved the earnest smile and the fact that she is just "trying to matter." Me too Reese, me too.

3. Best Joke: "Bjork could not make tonight's ceremony because she was trying on her Oscar dress and Dick Cheney shot her." Normally I don't laugh at violence BUT given dresses like THIS, the joke seemed appropriate.

4. Best Dress: It is a tie between Kiera Knightly and Nicole Kidman. They both looked STUNNING.

5. Best Oscar Mock Ballot: Drew and I tied! We each got 13 right! Can you say "too much movie watching"

6. Best Facial Expressions: George Clooney. That guy is FUNNY. I think he *may* be drunk pretty much all the time but whatever...he makes me giggle.

7. Best Message: There were actual clips in the social commentary montage that could only be described as FEMINIST--Nine to Five for example?! We've heard all about the gay issues and the race issues...but there were also some feminist issues. GO ACADEMY!

8. Best Commercial: The M&M commercial with Yellow having huge collagen filled lips. So clever! I tried to find it but the link isn't up yet....hope ya'll saw it!

9. Best Awkward Moment: The performance of the Crash song. I mean…fire? Weird dancing? I don't get it. The song lyrics were enough.

10. Best (and by best I mean CUTEST) Couple: Ang Lee and his wife. ADORABLE.

I had some negative reactions as well but I hate to ruin a positive post....I'll rant later!


12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be interested in one of your negative aspects of the Oscars...I know you didn't like the movie Crash so what did you think about it being best movie? I was pulling for North Country. Thoughts?

Blogger kristen said...

Yep...I was a little bothered that Crash won...I am also irritated by all the discussion of the "groundbreaking" and "revolutionary" films...

North Country wasn't nominated for best picture though :(...even though I wasn't too upset about that as I just don't think the movie quality was as high as some of the others. However, I do think it was a better "commentary" than movies like Crash.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was hoping for Pheonix should've won best actor, but what can you do?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that needed proofread in a serious way.....
I was hoping that Peonix would've won best actor.... Cut me some slack, I woke up to my fire alarm this morning.

Blogger kristen said...

Pheonix was great. But I have a huge soft spot for Hoffman. He was fantastic as well

Blogger QuakerDave said...

The folks that wrote the Oscar show are feeling some heat, and sadly, they seem to be responding by "justifying" what they do. Folks who don't like "message movies" (ie: "leftish movies") should simply make their own. I'm sure Mel Gibson has an extra bazillion lying about. Let him finance "The Passions of the Right." or whatever...

Ugh. We don't really want to see that, do we...

Phoenix and Reese: awesome. She won, he could've, PSH is deserving, however.

Keira Knightly: Oscar night queen.

And what did y'all think of Jon Stewart. When he took the muzzle off, I thought he did okay.

Blogger kristen said...

I'm not sure Stewart has the right style for the Oscars. He had a couple great moments. It is a really tough crowd though. No one willing to laugh at celebrity jokes for fear they will be the next one attacked!

Blogger QuakerDave said...

I agree. Did you see Spielberg's snarky reaction to a gentle Stewart jibe? Pomposity personified.

Stewart looked verrrrry uncomfortable.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fav line from the whole night was when Clooney said, "I dont care about winning, Im just going to be the guy drunk in the back"

What was up w/ the bow on the shoulder of Charlize..i mean seriously WHOA....

Jon Stewart cracked me up for the majority of the night...it made me miss comedy central and watching the daily show...

Sarah

Blogger kristen said...

yes, charlize wins

Best Woman in a Horrible Dress

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHA Quakerdave...hahaha Passion of the right...that is funny :)

Blogger QuakerDave said...

Newt Gin-grinch dressed like Robert E. Lee... Ann Coulter a "Hilda: She-Wolf of the SS"... George W. as... as... a LUMBERJACK! Set in beautiful South Dakota...

Sorry, I'm tired and a bit punchy. Best off now.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer