Thursday, June 01, 2006
"Get Out" of town

Have ya'll seen this? If you read some of the blogs on my sidebar you probably have. But I had to comment on it. . . .

I wrote about THIS comic character this semester. My research showed lots and lots of sexism in the comic world. A lesbian batwoman is intriguing. However, the article teases out some of the tension. Batwoman is still highly sexualized and her gender highly disciplined. She is a "socialite" and wears form fitting outfits. She is a lesbian with a "different perspective" (according to her creators) yet she is unable to escape the highly gendered world of female comic characters. BAHHH.

But, I will say this....visibility is a good thing. It doesn't always mean political change but to be visible in mainstream society means that you may be headed down to the road of acceptance.

We'll have to see where this goes.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer