Sunday, August 06, 2006
Book Meme
Thanks to QD for giving me another opportunity to talk about BOOKS!

1: One book that changed your life: Holy cow, I cannot pick just one. See this post that listed a few

2: One book you have read more than once: Pride and Prejudice. But normally I don't like to read books more than once. Not sure why...I also don't watch most movies more than once.

3: One book you would want on a desert island: well...something I haven't read! Ha. Actually....probably The Encyclopedia of Rhetoric (it is a LARGE book and would keep me reading until someone came and rescued me). . . might as well learn some theory while I'm stranded.

4: One book that made you laugh: Running with Scissors made me laugh so hard on a plane that the woman next to me promised me she was going to buy it. I also think that Al Franken is really funny. I once woke my roommate up to read a passage from Lying Liars. Oh and David Sedaris is hysterical. Sorry...I can't name just one.

5: One book you wish you had written: Any of the books listed in number 4. Well...just any book, really....tenure will require it someday.

6: One book you wish had never had been written: Would it be cliche to say Mein Kampf? Yes? Ok then....anything by Anne Coulter. It makes me sad that there is an audience for her crappy books.

7: One book that made you cry: I cry at books A LOT. But the first book to do it was Charlotte's Web.

8: One book you are currently reading: Bait and Switch

9: One book you have been meaning to read: There are a lot...but the next one on the list is Dharma Bums (I know, I know...everyone has read that book)

10. (QD's addition) One book you wish everyone would read, and why: The Rich Get Richer and the Poor get Prison. Eye opening.

Now tag five people.

I tag YOU.....everyone should do this

But:
Peter
Kourt
Bethany
You folks read a lot. GO.*

*You can do it in the comment section if you prefer!


8 Comments:

Blogger bethany said...

my answers posted here

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. Did you really just talk about Hitler and Anne Coulter in the same sentence?!

Yikes.

I am not a meme fan, but I'll play along because you married my brother.

1. Congo by Michael Crichton. Enjoyed it so much that I've found time to free-read ever since.

2. The Servant by James Hunter. You can't be successful in life if you're not successful with people.

3. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. I shouldn't have to explain myself here, but since your subscriber base proclaims itself a group of "academics" I would probably have to, though I won't.

4. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. I haven't really read any "funny" books per se, but this was the last book I read at which I laughed...at some point.

5. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling. Cha-ching!

6. Why would I ever wish a book hadn't been written? Goes against my book-related principles.

7. I'm not a crier.

8. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

9. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers.

10. The Art of Happiness by Howard Cutler with his holiness the Dalai Lama.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1)A Child Called It is what made me want to do what I am trying to find a job to do

2)Was supposed to read Rich get Richer Poor get Prison for 2 classes. Since I had already read it, I didn't re-read it...can't think of any book I have read 2 times

3)Can't pick a book I would want with me. First thought is something that haven't read but then I think "What if it isn't good?" so then I say "pick a fav" but I have too many to pick just one. Will get back to you

4) Agree with you about Running With Scissors. (Although the Stephanie Plum books really make me laugh too...:)

5) Any book...I just wish I could write

6)Actually agree with Peter (did I really just say that?!?!) I think all books have a right to be written.

7)Every book makes me cry that deals with abuse to children. I have read too many of those books to pick one.

8)A Safe Place

9)How to pick just one....my list has well over 150 books on it that I have been "meaning" to read.

10) Also agree with Rich get Richer but I think every one should read Nickle and Dimed

Blogger Kourtney said...

Thought of another book that changed my life. Re-read Tuck Everlasting a few years back for Kath-Kath to see if it was 6th grade approved or too young. I loved it when younger but reading it again made me realize how more independent I let myself think that I am. I am sure you have not read it Kristen, and would hate it if you have, but rest easy knowing that I also don't like it :)

Blogger kristen said...

I read Tuck E. in 4th grade. I loved it. I still remember it very vividly. That and James and the Giant Peach are two of my fave young adult books

Blogger Kourtney said...

Read it again..would you still love it?

Blogger kristen said...

i'm not sure i would LOVE any book i liked in the fourth grade. it isn't really written for people my age.

Blogger Kourtney said...

I would no longer tell our little sisters to read this book, I guess, is the point I am trying to make.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer