Tuesday, April 03, 2007
The Science of Sleep
I have a love/hate relationship with sleep. I love it but often can't actually do it. As of late, I've been plagued with super wierd dreams*...

I think that is why I enjoyed the spirit of The Science of Sleep. I still can't really decide if I actually liked the movie or not...

The pros:

Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal who is easy on the eyes and ears...he's fantastic and has been in every movie he's ever done. I really can't say a bad thing about him. So maybe his performance alone is enough to warrant the rental. He is sufficiently crazed and hopeful. A perfect blend of broken yet promising. And have I mentioned he's good looking?!

The art direction was creative, visually interesting and unique. Because of that, the movie held my attention.

There was a certain degree of charm in the movie... I can't really elaborate other than to say that you were pulling for Bernal's character and could relate to a life that was led (and sometimes tortured) totally by dreams and fantasy.

That being said....

It was a little too fantasy fiction for me. While I'm okay with movies that dabble in the self-conscious, I prefer to be able to tell the difference between reality and fantasy. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention to the movie, but at times I was flat out lost.

Besides Bernal, the other characters were incredibly boring as was the dialogue. Thank god the art direction was creative or I don't think I would have made it through.

Upon further reflection, you should watch the movie under a few circumstances:
1. You appreciate good art direction
2. You like fantasy fiction
3. You have a crush on Bernal (however, if you do and haven't seen Motorcycle Diaries, you should rent that instead.

* A couple nights ago, all my dreams were from when I was in high school. I was in high school and so were all the people who were currently in my life. They all looked the same but I looked 18. It was strange.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer