Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Conversations with Other Women
As part of the aforementioned Weekend Move Marathon, we watched Conversations With Other Women.

A man runs into a woman at a wedding. They start to flirt and talk and find that they get along. Throughout their discussion, the man talks about certain memories as if they were common to the two of them. We gradually learn that there may have been a previous connection between these two when they were younger. This just leaves more questions as their past is slowly revealed.

I enjoyed the movie immensely and my fondness has only grown with further reflection on the plot, characters and dialogue. The movie is both laugh out loud funny and completely tragically sad. Both emotions speak to the powerful connection between the man and the woman.

While the movie is very short (about 80 minutes), it is so intimate and emotionally charged that I don't think I could have taken many more moments. I felt intrusive and uncomfortable.

The biggest source of discomfort for me was that I was simultaneously angry at the couple for violating their current romantic commitments and hopeful that they would decide to stay together, locked away in their hotel room.

Adding to the pleasure of the movie was the spit screen throughout. For me, it was a powerful visual narrative of the thoughts and memories going through the couples' heads during their extended conversation.

Great, great film.

P.S. Just in case I don't have time to write about them--I would also recommend Venus and Little Children. Especially Little Children. But settle into a deep, dark depression to watch it. WOW. You'll feel violated after viewing it.

Labels:



1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

OMG i completely agree. I just watched both of those movies (little children and conversations). They were both very realistic and character development was awesome. I think that you may even enjoy Notes on a scandel. I just watched it. Very similar to those two. I will feel bad if you dont like it. But just passing along a suggestion:) MIss ya.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer