Thursday, August 02, 2007
Some words about singing
I'm not sure how you all are going to feel about what I'm going to say.

*nervous cough*

I. Really. Really. Likekaraoke.

Yes. Karaoke.

I always have. I received my first karaoke machine when I was in jr. high. I used to costume my friends and we would perform for my family. Parties, family game nights, after dinner. Didn't matter the time, you could count on some singing. At that time, my favorite tune was Garth Brooks Two of a Kind. I could belt out some Garth Brooks. I've always loved to sing. In my dance class when I was 6, my teacher yelled at me (in front of the whole class) for "singing more than I danced." Whatever.

I still love to sing. I've been a regular karaoke'er since my junior year of college. I had a group of people that I regularly sang with. I moved up from Garth to Four Non Blondes and Neil Diamond. I fancied myself quite good. I even remember a few nights that my friend Maeve and I would drunkingly heckle the other singers for not being up to snuff. See, it isn't that I'm a good singer. I'm really not. Rather, I throw myself body and soul into the performance. I have a good time. I get the crowd involved.

Case in point. A couple years ago, I returned to my (very small) hometown. I went to the ONE bar in town on karaoke night. I ran into people I had not seen since high school. It was awkward. It is safe to say that I was a bit of an outcast in my tiny, conservative town. Still am, I guess. But nothing a few drinks couldn't fix. It got to be the end of the night. I hadn't sang all night. I grabbed my sister, a couple friends, and gave Drew the camera. It was legendary. Me+Journey+shots=yelling at the crowd to put their hands together. Me+Journey+shots+not enough crowd participation=screaming at the crowd as I approached their seats demanding they put their hands together. Most people did.

It is all in the performance.

Karaoke is really getting popular now-a-days. There is a video game. There is this internet service. There are tv shows (which I watch religiously). There is a new bar in the ATH that offers karaoke Japanese style. Oh yeah. Just like Lost in Translation. You and a bunch of friends rent a room and sing your hearts out while strange Korean videos play on a screen. It is brilliant. Needless to say, I LOVE IT.

What's that? You want pictures? If you insist.


* More pictures worthy of some viewing at my shutterfly

Labels:



5 Comments:

Blogger bethany said...

I can't believe we share this karaoke love and haven't gone together. this MUST be remedied.

Blogger Pumpkin said...

Lol......I love karaoke...there is nothing better for a good, fun night out, than a night at a karaoke bar.....I knew you had good taste!!!
My two 'tunes' are 'Hopelessly Devoted' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody'...they are ALL I can sing...but they always put me in a good mood!
xx

Blogger Pumpkin said...

Hey there.

I've set up a teeny tiny, v simple website in realtion to the business idea that I asked you to look at previously and I was wondering, as you were so honest last time, and if you have a wee spare second, if you could pop over to my blog, click on the link and check it out (not for your personal use of course...I am NOT touting for business..lol) just to see if you spotted any glaringly obvious problems.
I'm really sorry for asking you again, but I figured you don't know me so you don't have to be nice about the site if it is in fact....well....crap!!!!
Lol...I hope you're well and dinnae worry if you're too busy tis no problem x

Blogger Kourtney said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Oh, nice hair :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol, hey there, trust me, you did me a wee favour hun....in Scotland, my friends would've given me a wee shake after the first 'depressing' post, lol.......and it was so nice of you to offer me your support, I really appreciate it!
The whoopee cushion went down a STORM...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....husband was rather amused and relieved to find the reason for why I was chuckling evily from the minute he walked in the door until he 'sat' down........lol.....this is why I could never be an evil overlord with plans to take over the world, my constant chuckling would give the game away.
Hope you're well, and thnx for the wee nudge.
x

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer