Friday, October 12, 2007
Very Nobel Winners
Can I just say how psyched I am about some of this year's Nobel Prize winners?

Doris Lessing is the 11th woman ever to win the literature prize. Importantly, Lessing is a feminist icon (well known for her work The Golden Notebook) and, in my opinion, the perfect example of what a Nobel Prize winner should represent. Her work challenges the system and works to accomplish social change. Even more, women's experiences are at the heart of her writing which is a "nobel" idea in and of itself. Lessing writes about the inner lives and women and advocates a world where women are free to choose not to be wives and mothers.

And hello Mr. Al Gore. He is sharing the prize with UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. As you all know and probably all believe, global climate change is the biggest challenge facing our global world and the biggest threat toward personhood. So thank god the voting committee realizes true scientific work. So does Jimmy Carter who said this morning, "I can't think of anyone who deserves it more...My own personal hope is that this might lead him to consider another political run...There is no doubt he is my favorite and is the best qualified candidate..."

Labels: ,



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

“It would be better, perhaps, if [these authors] wrote books about their lives as they really saw them and not these helpless girls, drunken, worrying about their weight and so on.”
-Doris Lessing

I'm also happy she won, and I think she deserved it.
I was surprised at what Harold Bloom said about it. Did you hear? And Marcel Reich-Rannicki wasn't too kind either.

Blogger kristen said...

Hmmm...I haven't heard. I'll look it up. But I've read quite a few reports making fun of her reaction when she found out (for the record, she was on her porch and seems to just be an outspoken woman who really just cares about life).

I can't say that I'm surprised that people are having such a hard time with a feminist winning the prize....

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloom said the decision was politically correct and that even though she had admirable qualities at the beginning of her career, the last 15 years are more like a brick, amateur science fiction.

Marcel Reich-Rannicki said he was disappointed in the decision and that there are more prominent authors in the english language such as John Updike or Philip Roth.

I thought Bloom would be nicer.
Eh, call me naive.

Blogger kristen said...

Nah, not naive..probably just hopeful. :)

That is harsh...amateur science fiction?!?! Yikes.

I still say that it makes other authors uncomfortable when women write about personal experience. It is like a "real" character makes their head explode and they resort to personal attacks. Very classy.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer