Friday, December 14, 2007
Friday Flicks v. 3
If you haven't already, you really need to watch Lost in Translation. It is all kinds of wonderful and one of my all time favorite films.

But if you haven't watched it, I'm going to ask you to stop reading this post because there are some major spoilers ahead.

Seriously, stop reading. Go, go. Rent the movie.

Leave

This

Blog

As those of you who have watched the film know, the ending is a bit...vague. Bill Murray whispers some sort of goodbye to Scarlett Johansson and they go their separate ways. The words of the actual goodbye are too quiet to hear. I've long obsessed over what he actually said (although I really liked the ending) so when my friend e-mailed me a digitally amped up clip of the ending WITH! THE! WORDS! I excitedly watched. The date of the video is a year old so maybe some of you have already seen it. But take a look if you want. And if you don't want, LEAVE THIS BLOG because I repeat the line below...



So the goodbye..."I have to be leaving now. But I won't let let that come between us. OK?"

LOVE IT. Even my wildest imagination didn't create something that sweet. He has to leave. Circumstances and life demand it. But he'll always have these fond memories of her and their time in Japan.

BUT not everyone digs it and I can respect that.

Labels: ,



4 Comments:

Blogger Privatjokr said...

Call me the resident conspiracy theorist, but I don't buy this for one second.

Look at this from a creative standpoint. If you are directing this movie, the idea is that you cannot hear what she says. ON PURPOSE. So why would you have her ACTUALLY SAY the words if they are not going to be heard?

I would guess she actually says "Hey Bill, wanna grab a burger after the shoot? I'm starving." That seems significantly more plausible to me.

If you want to create a stir, and leave an ending open like this and let the romantics have their endings and the others choose their own. You don't have her actually say something. Having a line in a script means that this would have been discovered a VERY long time ago, yeah?

Think about it.

Blogger kristen said...

Sure, it may be false.

But I will say
1. most movies have alternate endings. so this could have been filmed AND so could the alternate ending with the silence.

2. this video is old when i did some searching, i realized this line and the video clips have been out for well over a year. the line specifically had been circulating for over two. so it had been "discovered" a long time ago.

3. the line fits with murray's character and the storyline. so it is plausible.

Blogger bethany said...

I love that ending. I love the way this movie affirms that relationships can be meaningful in more than one way.

Blogger Cagney Gentry said...

I do think its possible that he actually said that, however like Joker said it was left out on purpose. Maybe Coppola told Murray to say this just to get him to play the scene right and so Johansson would react how she wanted. Sort of like in silent films the actors still said the lines even though they could not be heard. And I agree it is one of my all time favorites.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer