Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Happy (Fake) Love Day..tomorrow
As most of you know, I think Valentine's Day is a large bunch of ridiculousness. I posted about it last year resulting in some controversy. I like love. I like romance. I just don't like those things occurring on a designated day. And I don't enjoy holidays that reek of heterosexual conditioning. But whateves. To each their own. I'm willing to meet you half way....

So if you want a little romance in your life tomorrow, you should pick up this book. Other people's love letters?!?! Count me in.

Fevered notes scribbled on napkins after first dates. Titillating text messages. It's-not-you-it's-me relationship-enders. In Other People’s Love Letters, Bill Shapiro has searched America’s attics, closets, and cigar boxes and found actual letters–unflinchingly honest missives full of lust, provocation, guilt, and vulnerability–written only for a lover’s eyes. Modern love, of course, is not all bliss, and in these pages you’ll find the full range of a relationship, with its whispered promises as well as its heartache. But what at first appears to be a deliciously voyeuristic peek into other people’s most passionate moments, will ultimately reawaken your own desires and tenderness…because when you read these letters, you’ll find the heart you’re looking into is actually your own.

Letters on napkins? That is romance. Lust, provocation, guilt? Romance for sure.

I'm reading My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams right now. It combines two of my favorite things--being nosy and following politics.

A charming review can be found here of Shapiro's Love Letter book.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer