Sunday, May 04, 2008
A Little Sunday Reading v. 12 Summer Reading Edition
The semester is winding down. My grading is done. My grades will be turned in momentarily. Summer fever has begun to set in. We'll be in Michigan for the month of June. It will be a busy month filled with a class reunion, wedding, bachelorette party weekend, family/friend bonding, Drew's birthday celebration and dissertation writing.

But there will also be time for reading for pleasure! I always get a lot of reading done in Michigan. Something about the porch, the water, and the sunset makes it seem criminal to watch television.

I've been browsing some summer reading lists and my Dangerous Reading challenge list to get my reading wits about me. I've checked the library stacks. I think I have a pretty good list.

Books that I'll be reading this summer:

A Room of One's Own
Jane Eyre
Persuasion
The Secret of Lost Things
The Senator's Wife
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
Beginner's Geek
A Wolf At the Table: A Memoir of my Father
When You are Engulfed in Flames

I'll also be reading some academic books for my dissertation but I don't count those. I'm excited about the list. It seems appropriately ambitious and fluffy. I'm beyond excited that both Augusten Burroughs and David Sedaris have and will have new books out.

What will you be reading on those lazy summer evenings?

Labels: , ,



5 Comments:

Blogger bethany said...

I plan to ask my friend Kristen if she has any suggestions or books to lend me...

Blogger kristen said...

HAHA. Ok. Just as soon as your done with your papers ;)

Blogger Andi said...

More dangerous reading for me. I'll be starting Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms soon. I might also tackle some William Faulkner. Right now I'm reading and enjoying The Sorrows of an America (Siri Hustvedt) and I just started The Omnivore's Dilemma (Michael Pollan). Enjoy your reading!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein

The Children by David Halberstam

The Solitudes by John Crowley

Several books on autism that I have acquired over the past year (for work)

John Adams by David McCullough

Blogger Kourtney said...

Since I don't have the "summer" that the rest of my family has here are the books that are next on my "to read" list:

Certain Girls: Jennifer Weiner
Middle Sex: Eugenides
Everything I needed to know about being a girl I learned from Judy Blume: (don't remember the author)
The Corrections: (yes..finally!)
The Book Thief: Zusak

These are just books to be read that are not on my book club/reading lists already.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer