Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Dangerously Reading v. 7
My selection for July was Jane Austen's Persuasion. I always wax eloquent about how much I love Austen. But when it comes down to it, I haven't really read that much of her. So this challenge gave me the opportunity to change that. From page one, I was in love.

How does Austen manage to be so subtle yet tackle so much in each work? This book has it all: romance, sibling rivalry, sharp critique of class-based discrimination, and a strong female lead. I adored it.

When I began the book, Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice) was firmly entrenched in my number one spot of endearing heroines. But Anne Elliot now rivals her. She has the strength, wit and independence of Bennet but is a bit more open. Austen's understated writing gave me just the right bit of emotion and romance from Elliot. It was never too much or cliche. Rather, her monologues and inner thoughts were moving and real.

Persuasion is Austen's last work. And I can't help but notice it is also her most mature and the one most marked with regret. Makes you wonder if Austen had made peace with all her decisions as she neared the end of her life.

Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Andi said...

I need to get into more of Austen's work, and I just happen to have Persuasion sitting on my shelf staring back at me. After I loved P&P everyone started recommending Persuasion, so I'll have to actually give it a try!

Blogger kristen said...

You should! It is a quick and enjoyable read!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer