Friday, July 11, 2008
Friday Flicks v. 7
For many, summer means sunshine and outdoor time. Well, I'm Irish. I burn. Badly. So I spend my summers watching movies. In the dark. With air conditioning. Drinking. Whiskey.

Ok, Not the whole summer. But I have watched a lot of movies recently.

Some recommendations for all you fair skinned beauties out there....

You know that super popular book from a few years ago The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time? The one everyone loooooved? Well it bugged me. Overkill. I found myself getting irritated with the autistic narrator. You know what makes someone feel like crap? Being irritated by a fictional autistic child. My family still hasn't let me live it down. Well, I found a much better and less annoying version of that book in the film Snow Cake. Snow Cake tells the story of a high functioning autistic woman and a man involved in a fatal car accident. They have this really interesting connection. And it is lovely. So funny. And so sad. A total emotional roller coaster. You must check it out.

I'm pretty sure I've written about how much I enjoyed the film The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. I enjoyed it a great deal. A. GREAT. DEAL. So my film junkie (soon to be) brother-in-law decided that we should watch Julian Schnabel's earlier film Before Night Falls. It is a very intimate look at the life of Cuban poet and novelist, Reinaldo Arenas. I didn't like the movie as much as Diving Bell but I liked it. I had trouble with the disjointed narrative and time line. However, the cinematography is so breathtaking and Javier Bardem so talented that I overlooked it. Plus, Diego Luna is in it. So is Johnny Depp....wait for it...as a cross dresser. *snap*

Then She Found Me was another great film. Helen Hunt directed and starred in this charming story that was always on the cusp of being too much. But it managed to stay on the right side of the line. And instead of finding it overwhelming, I found it enjoyable. Colin Firth is just so darn funny. I want to tousle his hair.

Wristcutters: A Love Story was a dark, quirky, totally awesome movie. I had no idea what to expect yet the film was far and away better than I anticipated. And! I'm obsessed with Shannyn Sossamon's hair. See?!


Totally cute!

I finally watched There Will Be Blood. I know. Welcome to 2008. I enjoyed it. Although not as much as the rest of the American population. I can recognize how talented the cast was and how sophisticated the plot was. But I was a little bored. So there's that.

Hopefully these suggestions give you a week or so of movie watching pleasure!

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer