Wednesday, July 09, 2008
Weekly Geeks v. 2

This week's theme is magazines! I almost didn't participate this week because to do so means admitting just how much of a problem I have. Yes. My name is Kristen and I'm a magazine addict. Truly. But the first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem, right? Right. On with the therapy.

My first must read every month is Real Simple. There is nothing bad about Real Simple. I love their charming articles, the helpful organizational tips, the great pictures, the easy recipes. I love the way the magazine feels in my hands. I love that they include a bookmark with each issue. I love this magazine. And they have a great website as well.

Next up is In Style. Each month I flip through the pages and imagine myself leading a ridiculously chic and stylish life. Of course, I'll never have the money to consume all they try to sell me but it is fun nonetheless.

Glamour and Marie Claire are my guilty pleasures. While you may occasionally find a powerful story on a feminist issue or an opinion piece written from an interesting perspective, these issues are for fun and occasionally fill me with feminist guilt.

To make myself feel better, I read Bitch every time it comes out. I wish it was published every month but such is the life of a feminist. Bitch has great media criticism and their articles are timely and funny. The publication really helped me teach my Women's Studies classes. My students loved every article I selected for their class reading. Many of them now subscribe as well. In fact, one of my great teaching moments happened when a student brought in a copy of her recently purchased magazine. She had highlighted articles and placed tabs on things she wanted to re-visit. Feminist victory!

My mom sends me all her issues of The Week. The Week is a great publication that features all the top news articles from the week. It also has great book, movie and music suggestions. A quick read that will fill your brain with great information.

There are two magazines that I don't subscribe to but end up reading every issue either because I buy it, borrow it or read it while browsing at a bookstore. Everyday with Rachael Ray is helpful in finding easy meals that we use each week. Plus, you don't have to deal with Rachael Ray while you read. Win win! And Harper's is pretty much the best political magazine out there. When I'm through with grad school, I suspect I'll start a subscription.

Last but not least, my hubby gets Paste magazine every month and I almost always browse through that. Paste is so awesome. Each month, you get a mixed CD filled with featured artists and songs. The reviews are always really good and they also have lots of interesting stories (like the best record stores). It is a must read for music junkies.

Rest assured, we recycle all the magazines so I'm a responsible reader!

Phew. I feel better now.

Labels: , ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

No 'Atlantic'? weak.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristen--I'm the author of MATRIMONY, a 2007 New York Times Notable Book, which will be coming out in paperback at the end of August. I really like your blog, and I was wondering whether you might be interested in reviewing MATRIMONY on it. I'd be glad to send you a free signed copy if you're interested. Let me know. You can reach me Jhenkin at SLC dot edu.

Best,

Josh
http://www.joshuahenkin.com

Blogger Becca said...

It's OK to be a magazine addict...I am one as well...as you know! :) I would add to the list:

Domino
Blueprint
Southern Living

Lots of fun recipes, decorating/project ideas, living & travel pieces, etc.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer