Monday, November 03, 2008
Because....
* I trust women and I want to see them healthy and happy. I believe in a woman's right to choose and that women's health should never be put in air quotes. 19 million women are uninsured in this country and women are more likely than men to go without care in order to cut costs. I favor health care that is available for all and comprehensive. Birth control and contraceptive methods should be affordable and prevalent. Obama has fought to maintain funding for the Centers of Excellence in Women's Health at the Department of Health and Human Services. He also supports legislation to encourage research that will examine gender and health disparities. The same legislation would establish community outreach programs in underserved areas to help women access health care and maintain healthy lifestyles. Obama supports the Prevention First Act will increase funding for family planning and comprehensive sex education that teaches both abstinence and safe sex methods.

* I am middle class and fiscally responsible. Obama will not raise my taxes. I am not an oil company nor in a household making over 200K a year. I don't own a business which exports all my labor over seas. If I was, I might consider McCain. To vote against my economic interests is...in a nutshell... stupid. Inherent in the idea that I'm fiscally responsible is the notion that tax dollars should be used for the good of all. I do not subscribe to tokin'ism. So I believe the Oprah Winfreys, Bill Gates, and Horatio Algers of the world are the exception. Until it is the rule that all people (regardless of race, gender, geographic location, and luck of the birth draw) have a fair shake, I will continue to vote for people who support pooling resources for the good of the many rather than the few. This means I see it as beneficial to financially support things like universal health care and public schools. Despite being communitarian in nature, it is fiscally responsible. It saves the US money in the long run and makes us more competitive world-wide. To be fiscally responsible means to vote democratic.

*
I am anti-war.

* I am pro-environment. I believe that global warming is person-made--just as solutions should be. Obama will invest money in green-collar jobs. He supports alternate energy.

* I trust Joe Biden more than I trust Sarah Palin. McCain himself said he
"might have to rely on a vice president" for expertise on economic issues. Sarah Palin has none. In these economic times, we need a president with a plan and with good people surrounding him.

* I hope.

For all these reasons and many more....


And I hope you do, too.







Labels: , , ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Andi said...

Brava!!!

Blogger Matt said...

A vote in your long-term economic interests would be for neither McCain nor Obama. Spending needs to be slashed across the board, and taxes need to remain stagnant if not increased because of tremendous mountain of debt and future entitlement benefits that our generation will have to pay for.

If you want to get into a present value/future value discussion, let me know. Because the debt is scary enough when you truly understand how deep it runs that it can keep you up at night.

Blogger kristen said...

I guess I should have been slightly more clear....I am in favor of raising taxes. I would even pay more of my share IF it meant that my tax money was being handled more responsibly and fairly. I think everyone needs to do their share. That share isn't equal.

It is a privilege to pay taxes. Taxes pay for things...but right now we're getting very little pay out for what we're paying in.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer