Monday, April 02, 2007
Some words about Hemingway and Letter-writing
A few years ago I went to the Outer Banks with some friends. We stayed in Hemingway's Havana. It was lovely...and the closest I've ever been to really liking anything Hemingway. I just don't normally connect with ole Ernie...If I want depressing, alcoholic fueled babble and crazed male protagonists I'll re-read some old journals*....

But clearly I've been reading the wrong stuff all these years! Today NPR had a feature on some newly released letters from Hemingway to [singer] Marlene Dietrich that are being unveiled at the JFK library.

Apparently Hemingway had some game....

"What do you really want to do for a life work...break everybody's heart for a dime? You could always break mine for a nickel and I'd bring the nickel."

"victims of unsynchronized passions..."

*swoon*

You know I have a fondness for celebrity relationships...and lament the loss of letters...it is a lovely story.



* I kid, I kid...I only have teenage agnst filled journals

Labels:



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came here from ArtsWom. Lovely post. Yes, that sort of comment does make one swoon.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer