Thursday, November 29, 2007
Reading Dangerously
I'm debating joining the "My Year of Reading Dangerously" challenge. The challenge encourages readers to read a genre/book/author that intimidates them each month of the year. I'm hesitant because it seems a bit much to read 12 daunting books! I'm also fickle and get in the mood to read certain books at certain times. I don't do well sticking to a reading schedule. Also--I'm afraid I'll feel like a giant loser when/if I fall off from the challenge.

BUT! I think the challenge may provide some motivation for me to read those classics I've been putting off and all the feminist works I'm ashamed I haven't read. As a feminist and a "reader" I'm embarrassingly unread.

It may help if others that I know *cough* take on this challenge with me. You can sign up here. If you don't have a list of books already, you can read the ones pre-selected by the challenge or steal some of mine.

Let me know if you decide to do it!

Look at me reading dangerously...
January: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens*
February: The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison*
March: Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood*
April: The Color Purple by Alice Walker
May: Virginia Woolf selection
June: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
July: Persuasion by Jane Austen
August: Fire With Fire by Naomi Wolf
September: The Secret Lives of People in Love by Simon Van Booy*
October: The Human Stain by Philip Roth*
November:Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
December: The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck*

* Denotes "official" challenge books

Labels: ,



11 Comments:

Blogger Privatjokr said...

If that list isn't set in stone I might suggest Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison instead of the Bluest Eye. I have read both and prefer the former by far.

I'm not sure I am "intimidated" by any authors.

Blogger kristen said...

I gave up on S of S....I'm not sure I'm a big Morrison fan but I'm gonna give her another shot!

I'm not really intimidated by authors persay (although some people are)...you could always think of it as "books you've been meaning to read but haven't for whatever reason." :)

I do think that there are books that seem too long/well-known/literary that we put off for no real good reason. I think a little of it has to do with intimidation.

Blogger Unknown said...

Love the classics, but unfortunately have little interest in the newer stuff, call me old fashioned. Very proud of you to do this, however!

Blogger Andi said...

Welcome aboard!

One of the reasons we included adolescent fiction, graphic novels and an independently published work is because, beyond an "intimidation" factor, many books or genres are poo-pooed because they're too "far out" for someone to pick up. Hopefully we're helping people step outside their comfort zones in various ways.

Glad to have you along! Great list!

And don't feel bad if you fall off the wagon. I'm co-hosting the challenge and I may not make it myself! But I'm gonna try!

Blogger amy said...

that is a great idea! i'm going to go check it out right now -- thanks for the heads up!

Blogger Dr. James McSaddle said...

Thats such a pompous pact. . .read some poems by Bukowski (Mockingbird, Wish Me Luck) and Love In A Blue Time by Hanif Kureishi.

Blogger kristen said...

Well, Dave...I'm a pretty pompous person ;)

A pompous person who doesn't really do poetry. But you go, go...read poetry.

Blogger Iliana said...

Yay - you are joining! I hope you enjoy Confederacy of Dunces. I laughed and laughed with that book but it seems to be one of those books you either love or hate. Good luck with your challenge.

Blogger Kourtney said...

My list is up :)

Blogger Dr. James McSaddle said...

are you mocking my love of poetry?

Because it sounds to me like you are reinforcing the false construct that we call gender roles.

Just saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaying.

Blogger kristen said...

I'm not mocking your love of poetry because you're a *man*...more because you have bad taste. ;)

I kid, I kid!

I'm just not a poetry reader. I don't judge others.

You go,go and read your poetry.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer